Do you have hardwood floors in your home? Hardwood flooring may give your home a touch of upscale elegance and showcase your stylish décor without clashing with the rest of your home. However, this is the time of year when hardwood flooring may begin to become a pain and could take a beating if you are not vigilant at keeping them clean.
If you live in a temperate climate that receives a fair amount of precipitation in the winter months, you may be used to seeing the salt trucks that jam traffic during rush hour. When salt is tracked into your home, these industrial salt crystals can be ground into flooring. This will destroy the finish and luster of your investment, and is expensive to replace. Take note of these recommendations to protect your hardwood flooring by eHow.com:
• Place large mats near every entrance of the home. Rubber mats will help protect the flooring in front of the door. Matting also can be placed directly outside the door, to add an extra layer of protection from salt crystals. You also may want to purchase industrial-strength mats (normally used in garages to soak up spills) because these will protect your floor from salt damage and water damage.
• Ask everyone that enters the home to remove boots and shoes at the door. This will help ensure that fewer amounts of salt are tracked into the home.
• Wipe up any water found on the floor, immediately! Use a terry cloth towel or a mop that features a dry cloth head, such as a Swiffer.
• Clean up any salt crystals that have already dried on the floor. First, spray them with a mixture of one part water to one part vinegar. Allow the water mixture to sit for two to three minutes, before mopping up the salt crystals. Avoid sweeping the dry salt, as this could cause more damage to the flooring’s finish.
• Mop the floor at least once a week. This will help prevent any further damage that is caused by salt crystals that are not removed through spot cleaning.
In an ideal world, these tips would combat most of your problems, but as you become busy during the holidays and begin to travel to meet with family and friends, you may not have time to clean as frequently as you would like to. This is why it is best to call a professional janitorial service for your home or office.
Who can you recommend for commercial cleaning and janitorial cleaning services?
RestorationMasterFinder.com is a great resource for reliable and affordable office cleaning services in your area! Simply visit the website, select your state from the menu and click on the featured service provider closest to your home.
RestorationMasterFinder.com features ServiceMaster experts for everything from water damage cleanup to emergency restoration services across the nation. These highly trained technicians are ready to handle emergencies around-the-clock, or schedule appointment times at your convenience.