There’s nothing like getting a home in order just in time for spring. But there are more things to consider than just a clean home. When it comes to personal safety, ensuring all appliances and electronics are working properly is crucial; therefore, spring cleaning is the perfect time to do just that.
Check out all of the fire safety tips to keep in mind during spring cleaning to keep you and your family safe:
- Clothes Dryers. Remember to always remove the lint from the dryer filter after each use. This is the number one cause of dryer fires because the air is not able to flow freely throughout the unit. It would also be a good idea to keep larger items away from the dryer while it’s running to prevent them from becoming overheated.
- Kitchen. Minimize the amount of items on the countertops and ensure that they stay free of food materials, especially grease. If any food item spills, wipe it up right away. But if it does while the stove is on, wait until after you are done cooking. Also keep all combustible items away from the oven and stove, including towels, oven mitts, and wooden utens ils.
- Grilling. There’s nothing like pulling out the grill just in time for spring. But ensuring it is clean after each use is essential when it comes to fire safety. Before turning it on, make sure that there are no grease build-ups; doing so will also make the food cook and taste better. Always check the propane hose and tank for any leaks and remember to use charcoal starter fluid only for charcoal grills.
- Escape Plan. In case of a fire or any other type of disaster, your family must always have an escape plan. This should include a map of the home with highlighted routes to the exits from each room. Make sure everyone in the home is aware of this plan, including children.
- Electrical Cords. Inspect and check the electrical cords for any worn-out or exposed wiring. Remember to never run wiring under carpeting or across doorways. Only use extension cords for temporary purposes and plug major appliances directly into wall sockets.
- Emergency Contact Numbers. The best way to prevent damage is to plan ahead. If the property ever were to experience a disaster, having the numbers of emergency contacts can save time in preventing the damage from spread. The contact list should include the numbers for the fire department, your insurance company, and a fire restoration company.
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors. If the batteries haven’t been changed within the past 6 months, be sure to change them in between dusting. Make sure that there is an alarm in every room so the danger can be detected as soon as it occurs.
- Stored Gasoline. Keeping an extra supply of gasoline can be both a good and bad idea. If you do choose to have it, make sure it is always kept outside of the house, such as a shed or detached garage. Only keep small amounts stored in tightly sealed containers.
While fires can occur at any time, so can flooding, whether it is weather-related or not. With melting snow and constant rain, homes and buildings can quickly become flooded from underground water rushing in. Always make sure the sump pump is functioning properly, but also remember that ServiceMaster is available 24/7 to handle water damage caused by floods. They will extract the excess water, dry out the affected area, remove soiled debris, and sanitize the remaining surfaces to prevent mold growth.
Staying Safe During Spring Cleaning
Again, remember that fires can occur at any time, and when they do, keep the escape plan handy. First call the fire department to extinguish the flames, followed by your insurance company, and finally a fire damage restoration service.
When it comes to restoring homes and buildings from fires, ServiceMaster is also available 24/7 to handle the cleanup job. Using commercial-grade cleaning products and equipment, they can remove all debris from the fire while removing oily smoke and soot byproducts left behind from the flames. Each of their technicians also continue to undergo training to continue providing efficient and effective services. This will ensure that your home is ultimately restored to its original condition as quickly as possible, providing you with the peace of mind you deserve.